Saturday, June 25, 2011

Dean Devlin Finally Takes Credit For GODZILLA (GINO) Failure

Written By: Ken Hulsey

I just wanted to quickly share these quotes from director Dean Devlin about Legendary's new "Godzilla 3D" film and why his G film failed. These come in response to questions posed by Bloody Disgusting's Chris Eggersten:

First on "Godzilla 3D":

"I'm happy. First of all, one of the people at Legendary involved with it is Bill Fay, who was one of the producers with me on the last version. You know, to get another shot at getting that one right, I understand why they want to do it, and I really hope...the best [for them]. I hope they get it right."

Then on why "Godzilla 98" failed:

"Listen, I think there's a lot of wonderful stuff in that movie, I really do," ( in the film's defense) "[But] I think the problem with that movie was the script I wrote. I think Roland did an amazing job directing it, I think the actors are great, I think when people look back now on the Blu-ray and see the visual effects, it's a lot better than what people said at the time. The problem was the script! I made some big errors in that script. I wish I hadn't, I wish I had a chance to fix it. But in another way, it's allowed me to be a better writer since, because I made the mistakes on one, and I realized I'm never gonna make those mistakes again!"

"If you're gonna fail, fail big!"

Hmmmmm ...... maybe a big part of it was the fact that Godzilla wasn't in it! Maybe you should have made up your mind whether we were supposed to fear the monster or feel sympathy for it? Maybe Godzilla should have been the one tearing up NYC instead of the military?

Okay..... don't get me running on this.